Tuesday 9 September 2014

Ten more bloody hugs

So, another week, another selection of awkward clumsy embraces with no discernible human value beyond some good old hard cash for Brook (hurrah). Incidentally, I also did a 50km training walk that took 11 hours and I was much more satisfied with that progress than I was the other. But apparently this tedious hugging is what's interesting to people.  Go figure.

So, who were the next 10 touchy-feelies...? Read on and find out. 

Hug #11: The Teenager




I don't know what is more embarrassing, having a friend's mum offer you a hug or being the person whose mum asks your friend for a hug whilst giving an explanation that includes a talk on consent and boundaries ("Mum, shut up we know this stuff") but either way there was some squirming in our house that day. Tho the hug itself was happily given by one of my favourite and oldest of my daughter's friends.

Hug #12: The Sports No 1


Ahhh, the Sports. Brook's good friends and neighbours, the Women's Sport & Fitness Foundation have one or two members who would win gold medals in hugging. They were on it the minute they heard about the challenge. I bet they all love running too, the huggy, sporty poppets. 

Hug #13: The black metal feminist

  
Yes, apparently black metal and hugging are not mutually exclusive and anyone who imagined they might be is guilty of serious book-by-cover judging. This is also one of the few members of my team prepared to hug me. I don't care to consider why that might be. 

hug #14 The Sports No 2


Another sporty hugger. This one is such a high level hugger (Olympic standard) that we had to have two - one with the photo proof and one that was apparently the "real" one. I am aggrieved that it only counts once because the second one was proper beary and I think I should get extra points for closeness and length. 

Hug #15 The Scot


Am I (an eighth Scottish myself) doing my bit to be stronger together for the No campaign or embracing the go-it-alone spirit of the Yessers? Sadly you will never know. As such a significant public figure in this debate I think it's best to stay out of it and let people make up their own minds. #copout

Hug #16 The next door neighbour


Bit late, bit dark, one or two drinks inside us after a very pleasant hour or two in the pub. Hug thy neighbour is now hanging on a twee plaque on my desk, right next to the sign that says "You don't have to be mad to work here, but it helps!!!".

Hug #17 The Northern Irelander


Continuing my hug across nations theme, we look across the water to Belfast and another non-hugger. See how we both tense uncomfortably, but persevere for the good of young people's sexual health? The money raised from this hug will particularly fuel the fight to win women in Northern Ireland the same bloody reproductive rights we enjoy everywhere else in the UK.

Hug #18 the happy colleague

See how these people take such glee in my discomfort? These people are such happy huggers they have been watching and waiting for the opportunity to pounce! This one was amongst the first to volunteer a hug and was very happy with it too. Perhaps I'm just really bloody good at hugging. 

Hug #19 The GCSE results 


Ah, another lovely person and a hug I would have given willingly without a fee attached because the clever little monkey's gone and got herself an 'ology and a handful of other GCSEs. A nice reminder that it's the young people starting their journey to adulthood that Brook is here for and it's worth a few hugs to help pay for that important work.  

Hug #20 the captain of industry


Oh, yes, a very important and well connected business man who took time out of his busy day to hug me, after which we say down and looked at his pictures from Disneyland where he met Tigger, Pooh and Snow White. Honestly, no wonder the bloody country is going to the dogs if all the serious business types are a bunch of sodding huggers. 

So, that's the next 10. I am actually on 31 now (with one particularly special one in a uniform - you will have to wait for the next instalment to find out more about that one) and I'm not sure whether it's going to be harder to walk 100km non-stop or find another 19 people to hug in the next 10 days, but either way, if you feel generous, please do consider sponsoring me to help all the brilliant work for young people that Brook does. www.justgiving.com/Jules100k

Cheers and hugs all round!



No comments:

Post a Comment