Thursday 21 August 2014

The first ten hugs


So, you know the story - I, famously a "cold fish" and not a fan of hugs in any circumstances but *especially* not in the workplace, have been set a challenge by my hugger colleagues to have 50 mutually consenting hugs in 30 days. In return, these colleagues have sponsored me - as can you, if you feel so inclined. All the money I raise will help Brook work with young people on really important issues like...well, like consent and boundaries. 

I agreed to report back on my experience through this blog and post the pictures of the people I hugged. These pictures are taken by the person themselves on my phone as an indication of mutual trust and consent. 

Hug #1: The Boss


If you're gonna hug your colleagues, might as well start at the top. Might as well also start with the person who has so far sponsored the greatest amount (£2 per hug with a bonus if I get any "special" ones). 

Hug #2 The GiveHerAnInchSheTakesAYard Friend


This was actually the second attempt because she stuck her tongue in my ear the first time, something definitely non-consensual. She still snuck a kiss this time. Bloody actressy types. 

Hug #3 The Runner


I'm very pleased that I now have challenge as significant as running 50 km which is what this woman is doing for the cash. You can chuck some on her pile, too, if that's your bag. 

Hug #4 The Queen of Hugs


Started twitching in anticipation as soon as she realised a hug was on the cards. Loves hugs. Sees them as the answer to all of life's problems. She's wrong, of course, but very nice all the same

Hug #5 The Brook Checklister


After careful checking of the position vis a vis consent, wanted to know how I was going to "demonstrate the outcomes" of my challenge (answer: cold hard cash thanks very much). Brook first for this one, every time. 

Hug #6 The Fellow Non-hugger


Learned my first lesson here: if you're a non-hugger, hug another non-hugger. Respectful, kind, gentle, friendly and none of the triumphalism of the touchy-feelies. My favourite so far. 

Hug #7 The Stranger


Stranger to me, anyway. Apparently everyone else in the office knows him because he works at the pub at the end of the road. I double-checked consent several times because it was a bit bloody weird. 

Hug #8 The Husband


At one point, it was suggested that people I'm married to wouldn't count. This was soon dismissed by my husband, saying "Tell them I've been married to you for 17 years and this is the first hug you've initiated. It definitely counts."

Hug #9 The Daughter


Ahhhh, I confess this is not our first time. Though from the day she could talk we agreed to ask first if we wanted hugs. She's 13 now and asks every day and I say yes. Unless Bake-off is on. Or West Wing on DVD. Or I'm reading the paper. 

Hug #10 The Sweaty, Huggy, Friend


"Fresh" from a Zumba class and delighted by the idea of a reciprocal hug tho apologetic about the gentle glowing she was doing. Not the first person to say, with a blink, "I must have hugged you loads of times when you didn't much want me to."



So there we have it, my first ten hugs. I have a feeling finding huggers for the first half of this challenge is going to be easier than the second. Several people have set me extra targets - a policeman is top of the list (we had quite a chat about whether a policeman would agree to be hugged).

All the huggers have a glint in their eye when they lean in for their hug. I can tell they all want to bring me into their tribe. They all want theirs to be the one that opens my eyes and heart to the power of the hug. Bless them, it's their optimism that makes them so cute even as they bear down on you with their big fuzzy open arms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment